Monday 27 October 2008

Using other peoples patterns for your gain

Ever since I decided to start selling the bags I make I have been trying hard to make my own patterns. Most of the bags I had made have been done using patterns and tutorials. To design something new is hard and for bags it is usually just a variation of a theme.

I have spent a lot of time browsing the internet to see what type of bags sell and to gain inspiration but time and time again I have come across people selling bags from tutorials and commercially available patterns. Most of the patterns do state NOT for commercial use.

I have even seen someone today selling a pattern that looks like a direct copy of one that is available free.

I wonder how these people feel, maybe they haven't seen the small print and don't realise they should be using these patterns?

Is it just me that feels that doing this is morally wrong?

2 comments:

Ann-Marie Dewhurst said...

Hia,

I've thought about this too and I think if you change the bag a little...you have really redesigned it? I think it probably hasn't occured to a lot of people though.

xxxx

Jeanette said...

It's hard when you spend so much time designing and drafting your own patterns to then see others just using a commercial pattern.
I do think a lot of people just don't get it y'know? I'm often asked to make things for people from commercial patterns,and when I explain the issue they just look at me blankly!
You just have to be true to yourself. ;0)